Thursday, August 13, 2015

A nearby, but eventful summer

       This year was my first summer after a year of teaching already being in Sacramento. The last ten years I had taught in Los Angeles, and immediately made the drive up past my hometown of Galt up through Roseville, past Marysville, and eventually curving eastward towards Lake Almanor and Canyon Dam. This regular practice was due to my pleasured involvement in a week long camp each summer one of the first weeks in June. It was a camp I went to as a high schooler, a camp I stayed involved with as a college recruiter, and finally now as a co-director. It was both bittersweet and a huge relief to only have to make a three-hour drive rather than the ten-hour one of the past.
The week at camp was still a fantastic start. Hiking, singing, camp skits, and camp sports filled the time as I was able to reconnect with some people that I only see once a year and even meet some new people altogether.


       The summer's start was not the only unique difference as I then normally try and get some traveling in whether to family friends in Oregon, camping at Lake of the Springs with family, a trip to Reno with friends, a return to the beaches of Los Angeles, or even going off course somewhere else. This summer; however, I had to stay relatively close as I had the chance to participate in something I had not done since high school. I was in a play! I happened to see a notice about auditions in late May and took a chance and was fortunate enough to get a part in an original play taking the concept of schemes from The Producers and twisting it into one of a failed game show host and his manager starting up a church to raise funds before slipping away. I got to play the nefarious manager. The rest of the cast were all strangers to me, but quickly became friends. All talented, many were even already performing in other plays that I was able to go and see.

       When the actual performances finally came around, it was hard to contain my excitement. What a surprise it turned out to be when different families from Star came to support each of the three nights. The performances went splendidly, including a gag in which I got three cups of water tossed into my face in the final scene. I even heard some of the audience members in the front row got wet. I was equally surprised to hear that one of my former students lost their tooth during the show. I promise it had nothing to do with the show itself.


       So although I made not have had to do as much commuting this summer, nor had the chance to do as much roadtripping, it was an enjoyable, rejuvenating, and memorable on to say the least.


No comments:

Post a Comment