Sunday, September 4, 2016

My Summer - Mr. Fassler

As much as people think it must be great to be a teacher having an entire summer off, it is rarely that simple. Often times there are obligations and appointments that can only be done during summer. Other times it is simple as already getting ready for the next year through professional development, conferences, educational reading, exposure to technology, and reflection and preparation. So in fact, it tends to take a bit more pushing to actually use the “free time” to the fullest. This summer I truly feel like I did. From traveling up and down the west coast, to traveling to the east coast, I put some miles on my car and my feet, and added some exceptional memories.

It began with a trip down to Los Angeles to visit families from my old school, from college, and even from my last college job, a bowling alley. I saw a play at UCLA called God of Carnage, visited USC using the recently finished Metro, tried two donut places, California Donut and Sidecar Donuts (my personal favorite), and even participated in an escape room where four strangers and I explored a mad scientist’s laboratory deciphering riddles and puzzles. It was great to see former students of mine that are now in high school and one going into his third year of college.



An unexpected highlight of my trip to Los Angeles; however, was a side trip to Santa Barbara. It is a fantastic city! I was able to visit a mission, a museum, a courthouse, and a concert all in the same day and not have to pay for parking once. That is a big deal if you’ve ever been down south. The concert I went to was Flight of the Conchords, a comedy musical duo from New Zealand. They were fantastic, performing songs from their past album and TV show, and new ones.

 



I had to head back from southern California in order to make it to a wedding with one of my good friends from high school. It was a wonderful time, but only allowed a short stay as I immediately drove back down the coast to Long Beach to board a cruise ship with family. We went on a four day Carnival cruise on the ship, Inspiration, to Catalina and Ensenada. The highlights for me, though, were the unlimited food such as burgers, calzones, and burritos, karaoke each night, a great stand up comedian, and the opportunity to perform onstage dancing as a VIP in one of the lounge shows. It was a great trip and I’d love to do it again someday if I get the chance.

After time on the ocean, I spent some time next to it as I took a road trip up to Newport, Oregon. I stayed with family friends and ate a lot of clam chowder soup, got some rest, played some cards, and even saw Ghostbusters. It was a quick trip, but gave me the energy I would need for my last summer foray… the the east coast.


I flew into Boston and had to get out to Plymouth where I would be supporting some fellow actors completing an internship. I met some interesting people and took my first uber. The first of many on this trip. In Plymouth, I saw a terrific production of Grease and even helped strike the day after the final performance. After Plymouth we all made our way to New York which was an experience in itself, but one better told in person. In New York, I stayed at my first airbnb. It was a well reviewed spot in Brooklyn with private entry and easy access to the metro system. I learned the first night not to wear jeans (or pants for that matter) even at night as a friend and I tried walking from Union Square, around 14th Ave., to Times Square, around 50th Ave. Exhausting, hot, and severely uncomfortable. I bought a new pair of shorts at American Outfitters myself just for my time in New York City.




It was a great time though. I saw my new favorite musical on Broadway called Something Rotten! and then saw it again my final night just to make sure (it definitely is). I also saw Finding Neverland, a sweet musical that gives an origin for the writing of Peter Pan. Some other highlights included lunch at Alice’s Tea House and riding a trapeze at Circus Warehouse. I wish I had pictures to prove it, but the person I had asked to take some said they were too entertained by my loud exclamations and forgot to. This was my second time to the Big Apple, but first in which I didn’t have any specific responsibilities and helped me to see why so many people visit year after year.

All in all, I wish I could tally up the miles, the number of people I visited that I knew, and the number of people I met for the first time. I also know that I definitely do not want to tally up the amount of money I spent, but regardless of all of that, I had a great time, took advantage of that “summer off” that people ascribe to teachers, and experienced a lot of firsts, agains, and “oh yeahs,” that I think help keep me grounded, rejuvenated, and prepared with some stories to share with my family, friends, colleagues, families, and students.

No comments:

Post a Comment